Our top picks for Hawke’s Bay family roadtrips
The Hawke’s Bay is paradise for foodies, wine connoisseurs and nature lovers. We’ve put together our top 5 picks when it comes to roadtrips that tick all these boxes, while keeping the kids happy. Driving the spacious 7-seater VW Tiguan means you have plenty of room to bring all the family (and their friends) along with you.
- Te Mata Peak You couldn’t plan a visit to the Hawke’s Bay without a visit to this iconic landmark. It’s a drive of only a few minutes from Napier and the hill climb will let you put the power of the VW Tiguan engine to the test. Enjoy the panoramic views of the Hawke’s Bay and, if the kids are restless, try out one of the spectacular walks – just remember to come well prepared for the elements.
- Craggy Range Handily located at the foot of Te Mata Peak, Craggy Range offers the complete wine and vineyard experience. Head to their Cellar Door for wine tasting, while the delectable meals at their acclaimed restaurant will keep all the family happy. You can even extend your stay by booking one of their boutique vineyard cottages, although their luxury lodge has to be our pick.
- Cape Kidnappers The gannets at Cape Kidnappers are renowned for good reason. Head out along the coast and enjoy spectacular views on your way, while hearing the engine purr. There are tour options galore (even tractor rides) where you’ll have (literally) a bird’s-eye view over this amazing colony. May we suggest making the most of the location with a spot of golf at the nearby and internationally renowned Cape Kidnapper’s course.
- Tolaga Bay Dream drives don’t come much better than the journey to Tolaga Bay. Home to New Zealand’s longest wharf, the VW Tiguan will handle this back-country route with ease. When you’re driving in a remote area, its safety record gives you all the reassurance you need. Keep the kids happy with a stop at a local dairy for a classic Kiwi lolly mix (or two).
- Sileni Estate You’re spoilt for choice when it comes to vineyards in the Hawke’s Bay, and another one of our top picks would be Sileni Estate. The kids can learn about the art of winemaking on one of their highly-rated tours, followed by one of their delectable cheeseboards afterwards. We sing the vineyard’s praises far and wide so you may well find the carpark full of vehicles from EuroCity.